WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Wed Jul 6 22:39:41 BST 2005

What in the heck is going on?

My hard drive crashed so I had to get a new one and reinstall the OS (FreeBSD)
and X and KDE and EVERYTHING else.

What a pain!

But now, when I log into KDE, the "K" menu "Applications" are gone! All I get
is a greyed out "No Entries" message.

Zoinks!

Nothing happens when I right-click on the desktop and select "Configure
Desktop" but if I run "kcontrol" from a "konsole" window, I get the subject
error message and an empty "Help" screen shows.

And each time I click on a desktop icon, be it a Text file, a JPG image, a
sound file or whatever, I am prompted by the "Open With" dialog window.

I've destroyed and recreated my $HOME directory and completely uninstalled KDE
(and Xorg) and then reinstalled, but the same thing occurs.

I'm on KDE 3.4.0 using Xorg 6.8.2 (I think) and FreeBSD 5.3.

I've checked "bugs" and google, but all I find are problems like this with
KDE2 -- and none of the solutions are working for me.

Some have recommended "delete applnk from $HOME/.kde" -- which I have done;
others recommend "run kde-config" or "run ksyscoca

Any help is appreciated.

lane