Mac OS-style menubar as default

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Mon Jul 4 09:00:41 BST 2005

On Monday 04 July 2005 08:44, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I understand the point but I can't accept it. Either they vote for or
> against. If they change their mind, one has to have a new poll, and those
> who changed their mind should be clearly in the "liked it" numbers.

You are now complaining about how a web-poll was set-up and not about the
questions it asked.

> You are correct that I never tried it a lot on KDE. I have to work with Mac
> OS X professionally and the more I use it, the less I like it. It is a lot
> like Windows: it means to tell you the way you have to behave.

Right now KDE has menubars identical to the way Windows is set up (each
app/window has a menubar). And if we moved to universal menubar as default
(like Mac OS does), it would be "a lot like Windows"? We would be moving away
from Windows-way of working towards the way Mac OS works, and according to
you, that's "a lot like Windows"? I'm sorry, but you are not making any
sense.

And what we are talking about here is the default setting, not mandatory
setting. If the user wants per-window menubars, he could have them.

> What I love in KDE is that you set it up your way.

And where exactly am I saying that this should be mandatory? I'm suggesting
that this should be the new DEFAULT setting. If the user doesn't like it, he
could change it to per-window menubars.

> Mac OS X does not have them and uses a (I > feel) stupid animated way of
>showing all windows.

Expose? What does that have to do with the subject at hand? Well, FWIW, I
think Expose is a great feature. Even with virtual desktops, your desktop can
get cluttered. Expose or something like that is a great way to manage those
windows. I don't use virtual desktops on KDE.

> BUT I respect the fact that others see it another way, and as long as I
> don't have to spend a week setting thinks back to "my" normality, I don't
> care much what is set as default.

Well, right now it takes about 1 minute to switch between those settings. Why
should it be any different if the default was changed?