Mac OS-style menubar as default

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Mon Jul 4 06:44:44 BST 2005

On Sunday, 3 July 2005 23.58, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:

> You didn't see the point I made? Many people voted against the idea. But
> when they actually tried it themself, they actually liked it, for the
> reasons I mentioned. So even though they voted against the idea in the
> beginning, they actually preferred the Mac OS-style menubar after they had
> tested it properly. I would say that most people opposed the idea simply
> because it's different to the way it's done today. And the fact is that the
> per-app menubars waste space, clutter the UI and are awkward to use.

I understand the point but I can't accept it. Either they vote for or against.
If they change their mind, one has to have a new poll, and those who changed
their mind should be clearly in the "liked it" numbers.

> Hell, I remember testing the Mac OS-menubar a while ago. And after 5
> minutes of use, I hated it. But I have experimented with OS X recently, and
> that system forces me to use the menubar. And after a while, I really
> started to appreciate it. then I tried it on KDE as well, and even though
> it has some bugs on KDE, I use it all the time today. You really need to
> try it out properly, before deciding that it sucks.

You are correct that I never tried it a lot on KDE. I have to work with Mac OS
X professionally and the more I use it, the less I like it. It is a lot like
Windows: it means to tell you the way you have to behave.

What I love in KDE is that you set it up your way. I use the "laptop" windows
controls, with a "classical" icon set were I modified some icons by using
elements taken from other sets, I have total control on kicker, the
contextual menus are complete and sensible, and I always have virtual
desktops to clean up my desktop. Mac OS X does not have them and uses a (I
feel) stupid animated way of showing all windows.

BUT I respect the fact that others see it another way, and as long as I don't
have to spend a week setting thinks back to "my" normality, I don't care much
what is set as default.

Thierry

Frank Zappa