need help in getting SOCKS proxy working in 3.4 beta1

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vR at movingparts.net
Wed Jan 26 19:56:21 GMT 2005

I don't think this is specific to KDE 3.4 beta1, since I couldn't get it
working in 3.3.2 either.

I have a SOCKS proxy running on a different machine and have an SSH tunnel set
up on my local port 1080 to forward to that machine, port 1080.  I have dante
server running on that machine, and configured correctly.  My /etc/socks.conf
file is this:

debug: 0
logoutput: stdout
resolveprotocol: fake

route {
        from: 0.0.0.0/0   to: .   via: 127.0.0.1 port = 1080
        proxyprotocol: socks_v4 socks_v5
        method: none
        protocol: tcp udp
}

and if I configure gaim or firefox to use my SOCKS server like this, they work
fine and I can see the connections being forwarded from ssh's verbose output.
And, as I said, they actually do work.

HOWEVER, I can't for the life of me get KDE to use this.

I have "connect to the internet directly" selected under the Proxy tab and
"Enable SOCKS support" selected under the SOCKS tab.  I have installed the
dante client RPM from dag's repository (if there's a more correct one to use,
PLEASE tell me), and it is dante-1.1.14-2.1.fc3.rf.

I have added /lib to the "Additional Library Search Paths" under the SOCKS
tab, and have "Dante" checked.  When I click "Test" from the SOCKS tab, I get
"Success: SOCKS was found and initialized."

After I log out of KDE and back in again, NOTHING in KDE is trying to use my
SOCKS proxy.

Am I setting this up correctly in kcontrol?  There's no SOCKS server that I
can specify!!

Also, if I start konqueror up from the command line, I see this, among other
things:

kdecore (KSocks): KSocks added a new library path: /lib/
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libsocks.so: No file named libsocks.so found in
paths.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libdsocksd.so.0: No file named libdsocksd.so.0
found in paths.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libsocks5.so: No file named libsocks5.so found
in paths.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libsocks5_sh.so: No file named libsocks5_sh.so
found in paths.
kdecore (KSocks): Found Dante SOCKS
kdecore (KSocks): SOCKS has been activated!
Jan 26 14:50:56 KDE[30276]: dante/client v1.1.14 running

Which makes me think that things should work.  Yet I never see any output from
the ssh tunnel that shows that anything is being forwarded across the tunnel
for the SOCKS proxy.

Someone, anyone, please help?!?  =:)  I've been beating my head against the
wall with this for far too long.

Thanks.

--

 `