KDE prevents system from shutting down?

Taylor Byrnes taylor.byrnes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 05:41:33 GMT 2005

What application is this?

It sounds to me like the application programmer coded that as a
"feature" because for whatever reason they decided not to support
resuming sessions.

--
Please remember to reply to the list, not me, un-aviodable GMail feature.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:57:49 -0500, Andy Teijelo PĂ©rez
<espino at infomed.sld.cu> wrote:
> I've been glad since I discovered that I could turn off my Linux system by
> simply hitting the power-off button in my computer case. That's possible
> thanks to acpid.
> The first time I used it, I felt a little bit disappointed because KDE was not
> properly closed when I turned off my system this way. All programs were
> simply killed and the entire session was lost. But now I'm using KDE 3.3 on
> Debian Sid, and it works just as I want it. When I hit the power button in
> front of my computer case, KDE closes correctly, the session gets saved and
> then the system shuts down.
> But today I discovered that a KDE application with an unsaved modified
> document was preventing the system from completing the shutdown process. When
> I hitted the power button to turn off the system, and walked away from the
> PC, a lot of time passed and I didn't hear the hard drive turn off. I then
> came back to see what was happening and found this application waiting for me
> to tell it whether to save, cancel or discard the modified document. As soon
> as I said discard, the system began shutting down.
>
> Do you know about this? Is this a KDE issue, or a particular application
> problem, or maybe a Debian issue? Any light is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andy

Taylor Byrnes

Rediscover The Web