KDE apps PATH environment variable

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jan 20 16:41:40 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 15:38, Andy Teijelo PĆ©rez wrote:
> El Lunes, 17 de Enero de 2005 7:10, Kevin Krammer escribiĆ³:
> > Anyway, as you are on KDE3.3 you can create a Shellscript (/bin/sh) where
> > you export the extended PATH and put it in .kde/env/ or
> > $(kde-config --prefix)/env/
> >
> > Any script there will get sourced by startkde
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Wow, that one, I didn't know. Where is that info supposed to be?

Hmm, good question, the docs in the KDE sysadmin area haven't been updated
yet.
I read about it somewhere and then extracted the details from the respective
section of the startkde script

> missing a couple of things. In any case, $(kde-config --prefix) gives me
> "/usr" and "/usr/env" does not exist.

Installations usually don't create empty directories, but according to another
user with a similar use case it works:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-linux&m=110538792115971&w=2

> I tried putting a script called path in ~/.kde/env/ with just the following
> line:
>
> export PATH=~/bin:"$PATH"

Can you check with some kind of test variable?
Like
export TESTKDEENV=test

and then checking in a konsole window if it is set (assuming you don't set in
somewhere else like .bashrc)

> I logged out and changed the ~/.kde/env/path script to:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export PATH=~/bin:"$PATH"
>
> and gave it execution permission. I logged in once more, nothing crashed
> this time, and I still have no change in the PATH variable.

Not sure how a file needs to look like.
If you check the relevant section in startkde it is sourcing all files in
those env directories.

Cheers,
Kevin

--