Luxi Mono and recent KDE

Marcus mathpup at mylinuxisp.com
Wed Jan 19 21:47:45 GMT 2005

I asked a Trolltech person about this issue. He told me that the problem
seems to be related to fontconfig. Specifically, fontconfig reports that Luxi-Mono
is monospaced in normal, italic/slated, and bold-italic/slated, but for some reason,
fontconfig believe that the bold-normal variant is proportionally spaced. I could
not find anything in the pfa or afm files that would explain the behavior though.
In any case, because the normal-bold variant is flagged as proportional, KDE
considers the whole bold as proportional.

My distro supplies the Luxi family in both Type1 and TrueType. Apparently,
fontconfig gets the TrueType version correct, so hand-deleting the Type1
version seems to work around the problems.

Also, on my system, "monospaced" is very different from Luxi Mono.