How can I get KDE to leave the background alone?

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Feb 4 19:55:07 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 06:53:27AM -0500, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 06:45, stan wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:08:56AM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > On Friday 04 February 2005 01:47, stan wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > If I set "no picture", and set the bacgrround to black, then when I
> > run the cdop script, it pops up the requested picture breifly, then
> > writed black over it.
> >
> > What might I be doing wrong?
> >

> Is it a timing issue, maybe?  What happens if you run your script _after_
> kdesktop has had time to come up and set its background to whatever it wants?
> If that works and what you're trying to do is set the background when kde
> starts, then maybe you need to have your script sleep for 10 seconds (or
> whatever you find that works) and then run the dcop command to set the
> background?

Ah, if twas only so simple :-)

No, it doesn't matter if I've been loged into the session foe _days_.
KDE seems to have it's mind made up, as to what it wants the background
to be, and anything that changes it will, very shortly, get overwritten.

Let's check some basic things, and make certain we are on the same
wavelength. How do you think I should have the background set in the
control panel. to allow the script to change it?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin