How can I get KDE to leave the background alone?

Rainer Wirtz rainer.wirtz at gmx.de
Fri Feb 4 23:27:48 GMT 2005

Am Freitag, 4. Februar 2005 20:55 schrieb stan:

> Ah, if twas only so simple :-)
>
> No, it doesn't matter if I've been loged into the session foe _days_.
> KDE seems to have it's mind made up, as to what it wants the
> background to be, and anything that changes it will, very shortly,
> get overwritten.
>
> Let's check some basic things, and make certain we are on the same
> wavelength. How do you think I should have the background set in the
> control panel. to allow the script to change it?

Stan,
It works for me, I'm using kde-3.4 from CVS. I can either do a
"dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface setWallpaper /path/to/image.jpg 1"
from the command line, or I put the same line in a shell-script in
~/.kde/Autostart and the background is set on start-up.
This is independent of the settings in the control panel. Can be some
other picture, or no picture, doesn't matter.
AFAICT the dcop-call is in fact calling the same routines as when you
change settings by hand.

Do you always try to use your script, or have you tried the
command-line? If the command-line works, have you tried a minimalistic
shell-script?
I have checked http://bugs.kde.org but found nothing. Maybe it's a
Knoppix specific problem.

Rainer