possibly messed-up permissions from GLOcean

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 09:24:59 GMT 2005

Hi

As a general rule permissions for a directory should be 755
(read/write/execute for owner, read/execute for group, read/execute for all
others)

For *data* files the permissions should be 644 (read/write owner, read for
group and all others)

For *program* files the permissions should be 755 - this applies to files
above all in bin/ directories.

I have never got the hang of the +a -w system -  far too complicated!  I
always use the command line with chmod for setting permissions. That command
sets all permissions with one simple easy to remember set of three numbers.
And it works recursively too!  When combined with 'find', setting permissions
becomes a lot faster and easier than with a GUI.  Only rarely do I use any
graphical file manager like Konqueror.

To set all directories in a tree to the correct permissions use this line.
Go the to top of the tree concerned  and run:

find -type d -exec chmod -R 755 {} \;

The option '-type d' selects directories only; '-type f' selects regular files
only ( no directories or other types of files such as symlinks ).

To set all *data* files to correct permissions

find -type f -exec chmod -R 644 {} \;

For *program* files in a bin directory *without* things are simpler:

chmod 755 *

This command will affect the permissions of directories too, but this has not
effect in this case.

Hope this helps

Basil