possibly messed-up permissions from GLOcean

s s greatredshark at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 4 01:12:58 GMT 2005

 --- Basil Fowler <bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hi
>
> As a general rule permissions for a directory should
> be 755
> (read/write/execute for owner, read/execute for
> group, read/execute for all
> others)
>
> For *data* files the permissions should be 644
> (read/write owner, read for
> group and all others)
>
> For *program* files the permissions should be 755 -
> this applies to files
> above all in bin/ directories.
>
> I have never got the hang of the +a -w system -  far
> too complicated!  I
hehehe... same reason why I stuck with the ago/rwx
system.. I can remember what each letter stands for.
but something like 7? wtf is 7? oh well, at least
setting permissions to 666 is clear: opening my box to
demonic possesion (even though I'm not running *BSD)

On closer inspection, /opt had its permissions set so
that only owner could read/write. the kicker is: the
owner had gotten set to 1000. I don't know who 1000
is, but from what I recall, permissions can get set
like that by processes that are acting abnormally. so
maybe installpkg was acting up strange? dunno...
either way, I set the owner and group for /opt back to
root (and set it recursively) and also added read/exec
permissions for everyone.
Everything SEEMS to be acting fine now...