(Konqueror and ISP's webrowsers support) and (KMail support and ISP's.)

JACKIE AINSWORTH jackieinbosham at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 24 18:44:37 GMT 2005

Hi,

Linux newbies here again.
(Please signpost us elsewhere if this is not a correct forum or link
to ask these questions. We don't know.)

We are experiencing since 6th Dec 05, continuing difficulties configuring KMail.
(We got lot of helpful advice from kde at mail.kde.org and individual subscribers)

We are sending this  email from this recently registered free
googlemail.com account having previously used our ISP's
btopenworld.com {yahoo mail interface) email facility until the
'REPLY' and 'FORWARD' buttons ceased to work on it from Konq., {and
with KMail; only the 'RECEIVE' function.] ( Cc to our own ISP email
address:{"belt & braces"] )

This  new googlemail.com account explains that "Your webrowser may not
be fully supported"  - "Click here to learn more", on doing so we find
 suggested alternative browsers with free webrowser download offers
for MS, Mac & 'LINUX. Mozilla'.  [Unlike our ISP: btopenworld which
suggested exclusively MS webrowsers]

For us newbies: What does it mean "YOUR WEBROWSER MAY NOT BE FULLY
SUPPORTED" ?
1) Who or what is partially supported?  Who or what only provides
partial support?
2) Why would only partial support be offered?
3) Why would a webrowser {like KONQ} only be designed to be partially
supportable or not supportable at all?
4) What is the reason for someone suggesting alternatively listed webrowsers?

KMail Configuration for our new googlemail.com account:-
5) Does Kmail require support in the way that a webrowser requires support?
(We are currently finding that we cannot access our googlemail.com
account independently from loggin in to our 'webrowsers functionality
problematic' ISP: btopenworld{yahoo webmail interface).  This
frustrates our use of googlemail. independently from our ISP!  Our
googlemail account appears currently fully functional from Konq, but
we cannot access our googlemail account at all from KMail which pops
up with a message: " mail.google.com is unknown host"   (We suspect
that many of our initial Kmail configuration problems stem from the
"Webrowser Support" issues asked about points 1 to 4. ? )
Hope we are explaining so you can understand?
Jackie & Jim.