Authorisation failure -155 on Konsole after messing with desktop icon properties

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Dec 24 20:18:09 GMT 2005

Hi folks. I seem to have to have screwed something up in KDE,almost for the
first time. Perhaps against better advice I've put Boinc for Setiathome on my
FC2 install. I created a link to application (with Icon) on the desktop to
start the Boinc client. I also created another link to application for the
Boinc manager that does other stuff.  As Boinc seemed to be trying to fry my
cpu, I wanted an option to shut the client down from the desktop. I found a
command "/home/user/boinc-program/BOINC/boinc_cmd --quit" which ran ok on the
CLI and shut down the client.
boinc_cmd is a binary file, whereas the first 2 links were to text files.

Now the fun starts. I created the link to application on the desktop with the
same command, but was getting stuff like, Kdeinit could not launch.

No doubt stupidly, I thought I'd mess about in the properties for the desktop
config file. First I looked at permissions, and made the file executable. No
doubt not necessary, and I don't think this has caused the problem. Under the
"General" tab I looked in the Desktop Config File by means of the "tools"
icon. I believe it is here that I have caused the problem. Under "Filename
Patterns" and "Add" I added .bin as a file extension. After doing this the
desktop link to application still would not run the binary. So I went to shut
down Boinc using the command above that had previously worked. Now when I try
to run it from the Konsole, it just throws back. "Authorisation Failure
-155". Same thing if I try it while su'ed to root. Any help would be very
gratefully received, and I'll try not to mess up KDE again. Nigel.

BTW. Any tips on how to run a binary that's in the /home/user directory would
be welcome.