Authorisation failure -155 on Konsole after messing with desktop icon properties

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Dec 25 17:43:31 GMT 2005

On Saturday 24 December 2005 21:18, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Hi folks. I seem to have to have screwed something up in KDE,almost for the
> first time. Perhaps against better advice I've put Boinc for Setiathome on
> my FC2 install. I created a link to application (with Icon) on the desktop
> to start the Boinc client. I also created another link to application for
> the Boinc manager that does other stuff.  As Boinc seemed to be trying to
> fry my cpu, I wanted an option to shut the client down from the desktop. I
> found a command "/home/user/boinc-program/BOINC/boinc_cmd --quit" which ran
> ok on the CLI and shut down the client.
> boinc_cmd is a binary file, whereas the first 2 links were to text files.
>
> Now the fun starts. I created the link to application on the desktop with
> the same command, but was getting stuff like, Kdeinit could not launch.
>
> No doubt stupidly, I thought I'd mess about in the properties for the
> desktop config file. First I looked at permissions, and made the file
> executable. No doubt not necessary, and I don't think this has caused the
> problem. Under the "General" tab I looked in the Desktop Config File by
> means of the "tools" icon. I believe it is here that I have caused the
> problem. Under "Filename Patterns" and "Add" I added .bin as a file
> extension. After doing this the desktop link to application still would not
> run the binary. So I went to shut down Boinc using the command above that
> had previously worked. Now when I try to run it from the Konsole, it just
> throws back. "Authorisation Failure -155". Same thing if I try it while
> su'ed to root. Any help would be very gratefully received, and I'll try not
> to mess up KDE again. Nigel.
>

> BTW. Any tips on how to run a binary that's in the /home/user directory
> would be welcome.

Hi. Some progress. I have now got my "Boinc-Client STOP" button working on the
desktop, by creating a new text file in the program directory, using the same
line of script as in the two default text files for running the other two
binaries, but linked to boinc_cmd with the --quit option which now works from
the desktop icon and stops the boinc client.

With regard to the "Authorization Failure -155" I would still appreciate some
help, if this is a genuine KDE error code.
I can still run this binary from the command line by cd'ing to the BOINC
directory and then running "./boinc_cmd --quit" , which is perhaps a better
way to go about it anyway.

Thanks to any who have read this post. Nigel.