KMail: Still trying to configure the 'SEND' facility since last advice on 6th & 8th Dec 2005

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:43:03 GMT 2005

Sorry about the mix up with root permissons being needed, most of us take
for granted that we can become root at anytime as admins of our own
computers, as such we (at least I) expectec the same from you. My bad.

On an aside, you have confused me a bit here. You are checking your mail,
from "konq" which leads me to believe that you are checking it through your
ISP's web interface.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Apart from that, your attempts at configuring KMail to send and receive mail
have been, to this juncture, unsuccesful. I see that you are adding the
option
<snip>
Checked X in box "Server requires authentication"
</snip>
Try unchecking this. As I said earlier, your ISP may be obtaining
authentication when you check you mail. And, hey... It's worth a shot.

On 12/14/05, JACKIE AINSWORTH <jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Linux Newbies still persevering to try to configure
> the 'SEND' facility of our KMail since your last kde
> advice on 6th & 8th Dec 05. {hence this is transmitted
> via Konqueror, where 'Reply' & 'Forward buttons' are
> back but still do not work.) Running our SuSe 9.1:
> [We configured the KMail 'RECEIVE' facility O.K. and
> immediately the legacy of about 290 emails stored by
> Konqueror were uploaded successfully into our KMail
> INBOX. As you asked: We are using 'dial up' via a
> '3Com US Robotics' 56K message modem via a SERIAL port
> as advised by Suse.]
> Our Konqueror will not 'forward' herewith your
> original advice. But the advice you gave was from:
> phillip.Rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk 08 Dec 2005 13:15:53
> +0000
> justin.denick at gmail.com 8 Dec 2005 08:16:05 -0500
> kevin.krammer at gmx.at Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:19:51 +0100
> kitts at hotpop.com Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:44:30 +0530 &
> 22:23:01 +0530
> (Just a thought, there was no mention that 'root'
> permissions were needed to configure KMail, anyway we
> configured the 'RECEIVE' facility without problem from
> our 'Home' desktop account.)
> We read the link you provided to "Getting started with
> Email Cahpter 17
> and tried as different permutations after each
> failure.) Wondering if our entries give any clue as to
> what we are doing wrong please? :-
> This is what we entered into "SETUP FOR SENDING
> MESSAGES"
> SENDING                                TYPE
> smtp.mailbtopenworld.com           smpt.(default)
> Default send method:      send now
> Message property: MIME compliant (quoted printable)
> also tried other option: allow 8-bit
> Default domain: imap.btopenworld.com
> confirmed O.K.
> (opened next field:-
> "MODIFY TRANSPORT-KMail"
> "GENERAL"
> Name: jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
> Host: mail.btopenworld.com
> Port: 25
> (default provided)
> Checked X in box "Server requires authentication"
> LOGIN: jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
> Checked x in box "Store SMTP password in configuration
> file"
> HOSTNAME: mail.btopenworld.com
> (Where requested, we entered our ISP encrypted
> password.)
> We suppose we are make some very silly mistake?
> Currently we should be able to 'RECEIVE' any of your
> replies via our KMail.
> Hope we can configure KMail 'SEND' by Christmas?
> Kind regards,
> Jackie & Jim. Thanks for all previous advice.
> NB (Just out of interest in the 'RECEIVE'
> configuration there was no option of 'POP3' it just
> defaulted simply to 'POP'.)

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                -- Mark Twain