KMail: Still trying to configure the 'SEND' facility since last advice on 6th & 8th Dec 2005

JACKIE AINSWORTH jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
Wed Dec 14 14:10:56 GMT 2005

Hi,
Linux Newbies still persevering to try to configure
the 'SEND' facility of our KMail since your last kde
advice on 6th & 8th Dec 05. {hence this is transmitted
via Konqueror, where 'Reply' & 'Forward buttons' are
back but still do not work.) Running our SuSe 9.1:
[We configured the KMail 'RECEIVE' facility O.K. and
immediately the legacy of about 290 emails stored by
Konqueror were uploaded successfully into our KMail
INBOX. As you asked: We are using 'dial up' via a
'3Com US Robotics' 56K message modem via a SERIAL port
as advised by Suse.]
Our Konqueror will not 'forward' herewith your
original advice. But the advice you gave was from:
phillip.Rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk 08 Dec 2005 13:15:53
+0000
justin.denick at gmail.com 8 Dec 2005 08:16:05 -0500
kevin.krammer at gmx.at Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:19:51 +0100
kitts at hotpop.com Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:44:30 +0530 &
22:23:01 +0530
(Just a thought, there was no mention that 'root'
permissions were needed to configure KMail, anyway we
configured the 'RECEIVE' facility without problem from
our 'Home' desktop account.)
We read the link you provided to "Getting started with
Email Cahpter 17
and tried as different permutations after each
failure.) Wondering if our entries give any clue as to
what we are doing wrong please? :-
This is what we entered into "SETUP FOR SENDING
MESSAGES"
SENDING                                TYPE
smtp.mailbtopenworld.com           smpt.(default)
Default send method:      send now
Message property: MIME compliant (quoted printable)
also tried other option: allow 8-bit
Default domain: imap.btopenworld.com
confirmed O.K.
(opened next field:-
"MODIFY TRANSPORT-KMail"
"GENERAL"
Name: jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
Host: mail.btopenworld.com
Port: 25
(default provided)
Checked X in box "Server requires authentication"
LOGIN: jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
Checked x in box "Store SMTP password in configuration
file"
HOSTNAME: mail.btopenworld.com
(Where requested, we entered our ISP encrypted
password.)
We suppose we are make some very silly mistake?
Currently we should be able to 'RECEIVE' any of your
replies via our KMail.
Hope we can configure KMail 'SEND' by Christmas?
Kind regards,
Jackie & Jim. Thanks for all previous advice.
NB (Just out of interest in the 'RECEIVE'
configuration there was no option of 'POP3' it just
defaulted simply to 'POP'.)