KMail: Still trying to configure the 'SEND' facility since last advice on 6th & 8th Dec 2005

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 15:17:09 GMT 2005

<posted & mailed>

JACKIE AINSWORTH wrote:

> [We configured the KMail 'RECEIVE' facility O.K. and

Excellent! :-)

> This is what we entered into "SETUP FOR SENDING
> MESSAGES"
> SENDING                                TYPE
> smtp.mailbtopenworld.com           smpt.(default)

I think this is the bit that's wrong: it should just be
"mail.btopenworld.com" (instead of smtp.mail.btopenworld.com, although
admittedly the User Guide does suggest the latter form)

> Checked X in box "Server requires authentication"

You might need to uncheck that box. The other settings you described seem
OK.

> Currently we should be able to 'RECEIVE' any of your
> replies via our KMail.

Hopefully you should get this one :-)

> Hope we can configure KMail 'SEND' by Christmas?

Good luck!

> NB (Just out of interest in the 'RECEIVE'
> configuration there was no option of 'POP3' it just
> defaulted simply to 'POP'.)

That shouldn't matter, although if it's described incorrectly in the User
Guide, I'll try to remember to correct it.

Regards,
Philip