Possible GPL violation by Armorware inc

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Dec 10 03:42:18 GMT 2005

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 09 December 2005 18:16, Rex Dieter wrote:

>>Given that you apparently don't have a copy of the CD, which is where
>>the "conspicuous and appropriate" publication of copyright (and other
>>stuff) is required to be, how can you allege a GPL violation?
>>
>>Am I missing something?

> Hi Rex. I hope you have nothing to do with Armoreware, otherwise I;m probably
> going to seriously insult you.

Rest assured, I have nothing to do with them... I just have a problem
with folks making false or unfounded assertions in the name of the GPL.

> At $485 if they have any sense the GPL licence
> is in order. They appear, according to the manual, to be using as a basis for
> their product a Knoppix live CD with their own code added. having recently
> To think that I can take a Linux app, add a few hundred lines of code,
> keeping the original GPL licence intact for the original app, and then
> charging Whatever I like for my "new product" . Man, this just doesn't seem
> right. I'm sorry if my remarks offend you, but is just the way I feel.

I'm not offended.  If their product really isn't that good, hopefully
they won't have any customeris.  The fact is, the GPL doesn't prevent
people from selling GPL'd software.  Sorry if that offends you.

-- Rex