Possible GPL violation by Armorware inc

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 9 23:05:27 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 18:16, Rex Dieter wrote:
> hubbelyo wrote:
> > Just wanted to let you know about a company called
> > "Armorware" which is selling a bootable CD called
> > "Armorware Core v1.4.1" for "only" $485.
> >
> > They present this as a revolutionary and ingenious new
> > product without any references or credits to KDE or
> > such.
>
> So (apparently) you're alleging Armoreware guilty of GPLv2 stipulation 1:
> ----
>    1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
> source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
> conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
> copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
> notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
> and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
> along with the Program.
> ----
>
> Given that you apparently don't have a copy of the CD, which is where
> the "conspicuous and appropriate" publication of copyright (and other
> stuff) is required to be, how can you allege a GPL violation?
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> -- Rex

Hi Rex. I hope you have nothing to do with Armoreware, otherwise I;m probably
going to seriously insult you. At $485 if they have any sense the GPL licence
is in order. They appear, according to the manual, to be using as a basis for
their product a Knoppix live CD with their own code added. having recently
DL'd Knoppix_V4.0.2 at virtually no cost apart from the CD-R. I can send
encrypted mail, as long as the country I am sending from, and the country I
am sending to, legally allows encrypted mail to be sent and received, and
that the recipient has the key to de-crypt the mail ( which is stated in the
manual). Quite why anyone should want to surf the web anonymously I don't
know, unless you are visiting very dodgy websites, and I'm sure you are aware
of the sites I mean. Anyway, as soon as you exit a live CD everything is
gone. I realise this is serously OT, but am sickened how some folks are
trying to make a quick buck from all the hard work that developers for the
Linux environment, both Knoppix, KDE, and all the other Linux apps are doing.
To think that I can take a Linux app, add a few hundred lines of code,
keeping the original GPL licence intact for the original app, and then
charging Whatever I like for my "new product" . Man, this just doesn't seem
right. I'm sorry if my remarks offend you, but is just the way I feel. Nigel.