Possible GPL violation by Armorware inc

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 12:35:39 GMT 2005

It's a great pity that the gpl doesn't limit selling. Seem to remember that a
lot of early shareware/freeware usually on floppy used to have  a clause in
the licence that effectively stated that the software could be sold on but
only at a level that covered materials and reasonable distribution costs etc.
Suse, Redhat and co effectively do that. Some might argue that they shouldn't
but a distro is well worth buying  in a box if one is new to linux. Suse for
instance include support, a book, on line updates and other add ons in their
packages that are extremely good value for money. Maybe one can download the
lot but the DVD's are a lot less hassle. Buying the distro helps them keep
going. One can not expect them to run like a charity. Rip of merchants such
as Armorware may be are another matter though. The question aught to be -
Does the add on code represent reasonable value for money? If not then the
gpl holders aught to be able to stop them from both using and selling it or
maybe even charge them for using it. One crazy thought. The "gpl" aught to be
a charity. Some major players might be interested in making serious
contributions to it. Eventually the funds would give it a sting that all
players would have to take notice of.

Regards
John