Konqueror very slow

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:28:14 GMT 2005

Just a point worth checking. But you have a private IP 10.0.0.8. This, I
assume was handed to you by your router, this device than goes through your
modem. If you have DSL than NAT will take place another time. Cable modems
will give you a routable IP.
I would think that NAT (Network Adress Translation) is occuring on your
Router. A packet of data is sent from your box with an IP of 10.0.0.8, but
when it goes through your router, it must be given a routable IP so it can
get back to you from the site you are trying to visit. This often causes
anerly imperceptible bottle neck in your packet traffic (if everything is
going well).

Try, just for testing purposes, connecting directly to your DSL/Cable modem
to eliminate one or the other as the potential culprit.

Good Luck-
                 Justin

On 12/7/05, John <john_82 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
> I have made use of grc.com for some years now - my machine doesn't
> stealth. I
> use the linux firewall and the router is a zoom adsl x5. It does have an
> inbuilt firewall.  grc.com has info on turning off certain aspects of this
> type of router.
> I can't see any odd network activity and traces of any addresses used all
> go
> back to tiscali. Seem to remember reading about tansparent proxies on grc
> though but that's a really paranoid thought.
> If no one can come up with anything it looks like I am going to have to
> completely reload my machine from scratch. That will bring back awefull
> memories of windoze. I have xp on this machine too but I can't use it as a
> recent update of nero and then xp has totally trashed it. It takes 3 to 4
> hours to reload everything! At least Linux is quicker.
>
> Regards
> John
>
> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 18:55, you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 December 2005 18:54, John wrote:
> > > Thanks but still no luck.
> > > Changing the mtu had no effect. export KDE_NO_IPV6=1 noticabley slowed
> > > down the lookup, changed the way the tiscali page loaded but was still
> > > very very slow. If I then use shift F5 the load is much the same as it
> > > was before. I have restored firfox to it's former glory and it has the
> > > same problems. It was hanging on start up following a symbolic link to
> > > java library installed by following the instructions on their web
> site.
> > > I have one other symptom to add if I manually check for emails with
> Kmail
> > > the access light on the router blinks several times about 4 secs apart
> > > for each address checked. Normally 4 addresses usually  take that
> amount
> > > of time in total. That is why I thought that it was a line fault.
> > > Also I have had this sort of thing before but a reboot has sorted it
> out.
> > > I believe that it has only occurred following my 14 year olds use of
> the
> > > computer - he may have an interest in certain aspects of Brit. Spears
> > > anatomy etc. I'm sure that he hasn't changed settings but have
> wondered
> > > about hacking etc. He did use the machine before this particular
> problem
> > > cropped up.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > John

> like

> > This is just a thought as you mentioned your son had had his hands on
> the
> > buttons. After my son had visited me, I found a definately unwanted URL
> on
> > my list, and about that time I had a lot of unexplained incoming
> traffic,
> > verified by running, netstat -a , as root. which showed an unknown
> [...]

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                -- Mark Twain