K-menu "downsized" after update / "kfmclient" doesn't work anymore after update

Steven P. Ulrick lists at afolkey2.net
Tue Aug 2 17:39:13 BST 2005

Hello, Everyone :)
Has anyone here who compiles and installs from SVN BRANCH 3.5 had the
following issues after updating in the past day or so:
1. The K-menu losing a rather large portion of it's former self.
1a. The K-menu editor just does not start anymore. No error of any
kind, it just does not start.
2. None of my "Home (Personal Files)" icons open the application that
they opened a few hours ago.  If I run the command that said icons are
supposed to run (from a terminal), I get the following:

> [steve at afolkey2 ~]$ kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
> kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca
> from /var/tmp/kdecache-steve/ksycoca kio (KTrader): query for
> inode/directory, KParts/ReadOnlyPart : returning 13 offers kfmclient:
> ERROR: Couldn't start konqueror from konqueror.desktop: Could not
> find service 'konqueror.desktop'. [steve at afolkey2 ~]$

I must add that I do update the Default Fedora Core 3 KDE from the
kde-redhat project (using YUM)  Further, YUM did pull in a lot of
updated from kde-redhat last night.  But I don't understand how that
would cause the above mentioned problems, since that KDE is not even in
my path (the following is from my "~/.bash_profile":

> export YACC='byacc -d'
> QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
> PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
> MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-svn
> PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH

When I compile from BRANCH 3.5, I use the following in my configure
command:
./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/local/qt-src --prefix=/usr/local/kde-svn
--enable-debug=full

I am now updating again from SVN BRANCH 3.5.  Please get back to me
with any insight that you may have on this.  If my update fixes this,
I'll let you know.

Have a Great Day,
Steven P. Ulrick