K-menu "downsized" after update / "kfmclient" doesn't work anymore after update

Steven P. Ulrick lists at afolkey2.net
Wed Aug 3 06:08:55 BST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:39:13 -0500
"Steven P. Ulrick" <lists at afolkey2.net> wrote:

> Hello, Everyone :)
> Has anyone here who compiles and installs from SVN BRANCH 3.5 had the
> following issues after updating in the past day or so:
> 1. The K-menu losing a rather large portion of it's former self.
> 1a. The K-menu editor just does not start anymore. No error of any
> kind, it just does not start.
> 2. None of my "Home (Personal Files)" icons open the application that
> they opened a few hours ago.  If I run the command that said icons are
> supposed to run (from a terminal), I get the following:
>
> > [steve at afolkey2 ~]$ kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
> > kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca
> > from /var/tmp/kdecache-steve/ksycoca kio (KTrader): query for
> > inode/directory, KParts/ReadOnlyPart : returning 13 offers
> > kfmclient: ERROR: Couldn't start konqueror from konqueror.desktop:
> > Could not find service 'konqueror.desktop'. [steve at afolkey2 ~]$
>
> I must add that I do update the Default Fedora Core 3 KDE from the
> kde-redhat project (using YUM)  Further, YUM did pull in a lot of
> updated from kde-redhat last night.  But I don't understand how that
> would cause the above mentioned problems, since that KDE is not even
> in my path (the following is from my "~/.bash_profile":

> I am now updating again from SVN BRANCH 3.5.  Please get back to me
> with any insight that you may have on this.  If my update fixes this,
> I'll let you know.

Hello, Everyone
I ended up uninstalling all of the kde-redhat KDE packages.  Then I
disabled the kde-redhat repo from /etc/yum.repos.d.  Then did "yum
install kde* kde*-devel*" and now all the above mentioned problems are
fixed.  So, apparently there was an issue with at least the kde-redhat
redhat-menus RPM.  I don't know what caused my other issue mentioned
above, or what caused the file-association issue that I did not
mention.  But after reinstalling kde from Fedora Core and Fedora Core
Updates, All is now well.

Steven P. Ulrick