kde upgrades = risks, hassles, annoyances.

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:23:08 BST 2005

Yes, gentoo is the way to go. :-) And contrary to popular belief,
Gentooers are not anit-debian. I run kde-3.4.0r1 side by side with kde
3.3.2 and I am now confident enough to remove the older version from
my system.

On Apr 6, 2005 9:37 AM, Andrew Kar <akar3d at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:55 pm, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > Since I was eagerly awaiting kde-3.4 because of that ICQ5-Bug in kopete I
> > tried an upgrade.
> > Foreclosure: I'm back to 3.3.2 for now.
>
> None of these are problems that would (or should ) happen on a normal upgrade.
> I hate to say it (no I dont) but it sounds like all your fault. Tens of
> thousands of people upgrade kde with each release with no trouble so what
> does that suggest?.  When kde upgrades it keeps all your settings just as
> they are so you would not have lost your launchers, fonts or anything else
> unless your system was badly misconfigured in the first place causing the
> upgrade to fail and I say this as someone who does the upgrades for 1000's of
> users at a major university and numerous business sites.
>   At a guess it sounds like kde was just setting up a standard new install and
> had found no /.kde in existence otherwise it would have upgraded the contents
> of that folder but kept its setting.
>    I dont know why your .kde to .kde-3.2.2 symlnk broke but I doubt that the
> kde install had anything to do with it. Next time perhaps you will do it
> properly and set "KDEHOME" to overide "kdehome" in your startkde script or
> just set kdehome=$HOME/.kde-3.2.2 in your startkde script. Incidentally that
> is what you do if you want multiple versions of kde because the startkde
> script changes with each version.
>
> --
> regards,
> andrew

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                -- Mark Twain