kde upgrades = risks, hassles, annoyances.

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 6 14:37:06 BST 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:55 pm, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Since I was eagerly awaiting kde-3.4 because of that ICQ5-Bug in kopete I
> tried an upgrade.
> Foreclosure: I'm back to 3.3.2 for now.

None of these are problems that would (or should ) happen on a normal upgrade.
I hate to say it (no I dont) but it sounds like all your fault. Tens of
thousands of people upgrade kde with each release with no trouble so what
does that suggest?.  When kde upgrades it keeps all your settings just as
they are so you would not have lost your launchers, fonts or anything else
unless your system was badly misconfigured in the first place causing the
upgrade to fail and I say this as someone who does the upgrades for 1000's of
users at a major university and numerous business sites.
  At a guess it sounds like kde was just setting up a standard new install and
had found no /.kde in existence otherwise it would have upgraded the contents
of that folder but kept its setting.
   I dont know why your .kde to .kde-3.2.2 symlnk broke but I doubt that the
kde install had anything to do with it. Next time perhaps you will do it
properly and set "KDEHOME" to overide "kdehome" in your startkde script or
just set kdehome=$HOME/.kde-3.2.2 in your startkde script. Incidentally that
is what you do if you want multiple versions of kde because the startkde
script changes with each version.

--
regards,
andrew