device icons on the desktop

Manojav Sridhar manojav at manojav.com
Sat Apr 2 14:48:54 BST 2005

Andrew Kar wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:40 pm, Manojav Sridhar wrote:
>

>>hello,
>>
>> i recently upgraded to Kde 3.4 w/ hal/dbus support. my question is that
>>when i plug in certain devices i get a device icon on my desktop like my
>>Sony digital (usb) camera. but when i plug in my Rio Forge. it doesn't
>>create an icon for me. i am guessing the Rio device has not been setup
>>to show the icon.
>>
>>where is the file the describes what devices popup on my desktop and
>>which ones dont.
>>
>>both of them mount properly in /media/FORGE and /media/usbdisk (for the
>>camera)
>>
>>thanks
>>manojav
>>

>I am not sure how hal-dbus/kde is handling those icons. Check the kde
>controlcentre under Desktop - Behaviour - Device Icons to see if kde is using
>that. If it is enabled then you may possibly only need to tick the "Mounted
>Removable Medium" option as their is no specific option for flash music
>players; they would most likely come under that.
> It is likely though that since thsi whole system is so new that you will need
>to wait for a new release or else learn a bit about hal-dbus technology from
>freedesktop.org since however it is automounting correctly under hal my first
>comment may be all that is necessary or else you may just need to add your
>device under the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap file.

did some more plug-ing with this whole hotplug thing. the reason i found
it doesn't show up in on my desktop is that its not of type "removeable
media" the (rio forge is simply a disk). The other USB devcies become
removeable media and hence popup nicely. guess i have to look around
hotplug to see how to define stuff as hard disks and others are
removeable media