device icons on the desktop

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 2 17:05:46 BST 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:40 pm, Manojav Sridhar wrote:
> hello,
>
>  i recently upgraded to Kde 3.4 w/ hal/dbus support. my question is that
> when i plug in certain devices i get a device icon on my desktop like my
> Sony digital (usb) camera. but when i plug in my Rio Forge. it doesn't
> create an icon for me. i am guessing the Rio device has not been setup
> to show the icon.
>
> where is the file the describes what devices popup on my desktop and
> which ones dont.
>
> both of them mount properly in /media/FORGE and /media/usbdisk (for the
> camera)
>
> thanks
> manojav

I am not sure how hal-dbus/kde is handling those icons. Check the kde
controlcentre under Desktop - Behaviour - Device Icons to see if kde is using
that. If it is enabled then you may possibly only need to tick the "Mounted
Removable Medium" option as their is no specific option for flash music
players; they would most likely come under that.
 It is likely though that since thsi whole system is so new that you will need
to wait for a new release or else learn a bit about hal-dbus technology from
freedesktop.org since however it is automounting correctly under hal my first
comment may be all that is necessary or else you may just need to add your
device under the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap file.

--
regards,
andrew