App startup times high

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Wed Sep 29 08:18:11 BST 2004

gregor wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 03:37 am, SnapafunFrank wrote:
> > I recently went through having to uninstall [ rpm -e ] kdelib~ and
> > kdebase and then re-install [ urpmi ] because of a 'kdeinit' problem I
> > had whilst attempting to update these packages having read a Mandrake
> > security alert. ( I'm back in kde-3.2.3 from the distro disc's )
> >
> > Now I'm not convinced it is entirely KDE, but since then I have time to
> > go make a coffee whenever I attempt to open any apps. Anything at all!
> >
> > I'm running a PIII 733hz 512RAM system and things ran fine before.
> >
> > Any ideas where I should start looking?
>
>uhm.. may sound quite silly, but look if there's a hostname in
>your /etc/hostname ;-)
>I had no hostname in it (how did that happen??), and the result was the same
>behaviour as on your system.
>
>good luck,
>
>gregor

Not so silly actually. This is one of the first places to look for this
tyoe of issue but in my case it did not help.

By the way, my hosts file is /etc/hosts [ Mandrake10 ]. In mine I have :

127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        Snapafun
127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        localhost

as I run webmin in an effort to learn things about what my system is
doing. ( Not to much overkill is it? ) [ The ".con" is simply to keep
webmin 'onboard' and appears to work well.]
Initially I only had :

127.0.0.1                    Snapafun

Thanks for the response gregor.

And thank you again Shawn. I have just got home so will enjoy the
challenge ahead tracking down your suggestions. Will let you know what
the results are.

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213