amaroK... now?

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Sat Sep 18 22:30:25 BST 2004

Hi there,

I'm not sure but I have the impression there are several people who would not
like too many changes in the 'minor' 3.4 release and delay most innovation to
4.0 - but I think if something is ready it should be done. Especially if you
take the time between 3.4 and 4.0 which _might_ be a bit longer than usual
into consideration.
So basically shouldn't amaroK be the default audio player for KDE 3.4 instead
of Noatun?
To a simple desktop end-user it's one of those apps that really drive
innovation in the Open Source scene these days and should be available to all
KDE users in my oppinion. Besides that it should be ready for prime time with
it's 1.1 release and will have enough time to mature even more till 3.4
arives.
I'm not sure what the mechanisms inside KDE would be that allowed the amaroK
team to develop independantly from KDE releases (and thus make their own
releases) yet be the standard and always have something new when KDE is ready
for a new release every 6 monts, but this should be doable, shouldn't it?

What do others think on this?

Personally I'd like to see a modernized video application as well, but the
oppinions on this seem far more widespread. I would like to see kaffeine, but
others seem to prefer KMplayer or KPlayer though I think both seem a bit
lacking.