Some features for KDE 3.4?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Sep 18 18:50:10 BST 2004

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.4-features.html

http://tinyurl.com/49cbg

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Zeroconf%20in%20KDE&comzone=show

> 3. Composite. As you propably know, X.org 6.8 has a composite-extension
> that enables the GUI to do all kinds of funky stuff. Most famous of those
> in the "true" transparency. IMO we should put in some tools in KDE to
> control that feature (in per-window settings for example). Right now, using
> Xcompmgr to enable composite is pretty awkward. Also, tooltips, Kopete
> notifications etc. could use the true transparency to make them blend more
> with the background. Really, there are LOTS of possible uses for this
> feature (and I'm not talking about just transparency, fade-in/out etc.
> would also be possible)

Kompose can detect the presence of XComposite and use it if I remember
correctly.
For deeper integration support inside Qt would be needed, but I guess this
unlikely for the near future, Trolltech is very likely working hard on Qt4

A composite configuration frontend could be possible though.

> Now, Composite isn't 100% rock-solid yet, but it's progressing nicely.
> Better be prepared for it too soon than too late. IMO 4.0 would be too
> late.

It will take quite some time until composite is (a) widely deployed and (b)
working properly (efficiently).
Currently it is AFAIK only available in the newest X.org Xserver release and
at working prototype stage implementationwise.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>