Some features for KDE 3.4?

Christoph Wiesen chris at deadhand.com
Sat Sep 18 19:24:33 BST 2004

Am Samstag, 18. September 2004 19:44 schrieb Grzegorz Jaƛkiewicz:
> KDE developers think that most
> of stuff done on linux (or free) desktop area was invented in KDE, and
> we should not be forced to keep compatbility with gnome ppl, but it
> should be rather other way around.
> Other aspect of whole issue, is that KDE is not just linux desktop
> enviroment. It's aimed for unix, and currently even win32 enviroments. and
> so far, HAL is just linux specyfic.

I hope there are people working on KDE who thing that there have to be some
things done to really take advantage of a platform that maybe can't be
reproduced on all the supported platforms (yet). Otherwise KDE might quickly
become the second choice - just because some other DE is better integrated,
has more niceties/features and plays better with a non-developer user
overall, because noone said "hey that's only possible on Linux - stop it".

I guess the win32 support won't stop any new features (they should be
just-not-there (tm) on win32) but the other Unices might... they shouldn't
though as to me KDE is _the_ Linux/BSD Desktop first... supporting "the
others" is nice but mustn't stop integration (?).