Some features for KDE 3.4?

Grzegorz Jaƛkiewicz gryzman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 18:44:39 BST 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:18:18 +0300, Janne Ojaniemi
<janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi> wrote:
> I haven't (yet at least) seen any lively discussion about 3.4's feature-set.
> Of course it will have it's share or improvements, tweaks and cleanups, but
> what about features?
>
> I have been looking at the latest Gnome (well I haven't used it, but I have
> read comments regarding the new 2.8 release), I watched some of the
> presentations in Akademy and I'm using the latest X.org 6.8. That said, I
> would like to see something along these lines in 3.4:
>
> 1. Volume-management. In Gnome, you plug in a CD, and it "just works". Same
> thing with other removable media as well. They do that with the help of HAL.
> Having something like that in KDE would IMO be a "Good Thing" (tm)
There's ongoing discussion on core-devel about that. We will see if it
will be just fruitless, or someone will acctually do something about
that.
I've suggested on irc, that dcop should be integrated with dbus, or
kde - dbus module should call apps using dcop. But ppl were not very
enthusiastic about it.
>From what I see, and I am just contributing small piece of software to
KDE, not doing anything big acctually, KDE developers think that most
of stuff done on linux (or free) desktop area was invented in KDE, and
we should not be forced to keep compatbility with gnome ppl, but it
should be rather other way around.
Other aspect of whole issue, is that KDE is not just linux desktop enviroment.
It's aimed for unix, and currently even win32 enviroments. and so far,
HAL is just linux specyfic.
If you want to follow discussion on core-devel:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=109531512400001&r=1&w=2

--
GJ