Some features for KDE 3.4?

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Sat Sep 18 18:18:18 BST 2004

I haven't (yet at least) seen any lively discussion about 3.4's feature-set.
Of course it will have it's share or improvements, tweaks and cleanups, but
what about features?

I have been looking at the latest Gnome (well I haven't used it, but I have
read comments regarding the new 2.8 release), I watched some of the
presentations in Akademy and I'm using the latest X.org 6.8. That said, I
would like to see something along these lines in 3.4:

1. Volume-management. In Gnome, you plug in a CD, and it "just works". Same
thing with other removable media as well. They do that with the help of HAL.
Having something like that in KDE would IMO be a "Good Thing" (tm)

2. Rendezvous. Again, Gnome 2.8 has this, and it is a good feature. To put it
very simply: Networking that just works., Ad Hoc networks that autoconfigures
itself etc. etc.

3. Composite. As you propably know, X.org 6.8 has a composite-extension that
enables the GUI to do all kinds of funky stuff. Most famous of those in the
"true" transparency. IMO we should put in some tools in KDE to control that
feature (in per-window settings for example). Right now, using Xcompmgr to
enable composite is pretty awkward. Also, tooltips, Kopete notifications etc.
could use the true transparency to make them blend more with the background.
Really, there are LOTS of possible uses for this feature (and I'm not talking
about just transparency, fade-in/out etc. would also be possible)

Now, Composite isn't 100% rock-solid yet, but it's progressing nicely. Better
be prepared for it too soon than too late. IMO 4.0 would be too late.

4. FreeNX. Now, this is one area where KDE is leading the way. Are there any
plans of having integrated support for FreeNX in 3.4?

5. I read Rob Kapers text about different "profiles" in KDE (url:
http://capzilla.net/blog/5288/). I think that's a great idea!

I'm an easy man to please. If those were implemented in 3.4 (among with the
usual tweaks & cleanups and the like) I would be one happy camper :). No,
this post is not a "you must do this now!"-thingy, it's meant to start
discussion about this stuff.

Thoughts? Opinions?