App startup times high

Andy Teijelo PĆ©rez espino at infomed.sld.cu
Sun Sep 12 06:32:54 BST 2004

El Domingo, 12 de Septiembre de 2004 01:05 AM, SnapafunFrank escribiĆ³:
> SnapafunFrank wrote:
>
> Hopefully this little update means something and will help:
> I just tried to print from kghostview and kpdf. In both cases I got a
> little popup message saying that it was "Initializing printer ..... '
> Within the print dialogue I see that print.ps is recognized and that
> things supposedly are pointing by way of localhost:631. However nothing
> happens and I need to kill things with the <Ctrl-Alt-Esc> combo. This
> happens only within KDE.
>
> So, still looking for ideas.
>
> SnapafunFrank

I had the same problem and the solution was exactly as Andrew Lees said. But I
went through several test before getting there. I logged off KDE and started
a simple xterm on X. Then I went opening some applications and KDE components
(dcopserver, knotify, klauncher, kded, ksmserver) I don't remember when but
somewhere in those test I got a error message talking about "name resolution"
and after that everything got slow. What bothered me the most was that almost
no CPU power was being used, but finally the solution came up with that
approach. I'm not saying it will work for you, but I think you won't lose
anything trying it. I'll be glad if it is of some help.

Andy.