App startup times high

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Sun Sep 12 06:05:37 BST 2004

SnapafunFrank wrote:

> Andrew Lees wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 19:37, SnapafunFrank wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I recently went through having to uninstall [ rpm -e ] kdelib~ and
>>> kdebase and then re-install [ urpmi ] because of a 'kdeinit' problem I
>>> had whilst attempting to update these packages having read a Mandrake
>>> security alert. ( I'm back in kde-3.2.3 from the distro disc's )
>>>
>>> Now I'm not convinced it is entirely KDE, but since then I have time to
>>> go make a coffee whenever I attempt to open any apps. Anything at all!
>>>
>>> I'm running a PIII 733hz 512RAM system and things ran fine before.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where I should start looking?
>>>

>> It could be a problem with network name lookup - try putting an entry
>> for your own computer in /etc/hosts
>>

> Update: I have actually timed the startup of kde apps and it takes a
> minute pretty much exactly from the moment I click on them. For the
> response to the above reply:
>
> # vim /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1               Snapafun
>
> Once the app/program starts I do not seem to have a problem. It is
> just getting things started.
> I have used mcc to 'stopped' all net stuff and anything else I'm not
> using at present. Still no joy so I suspect I'm running something I
> don't know how to find. < ps aux > didn't enlighten me any then maybe
> I'm not looking at the right thing.
>
> Any further ideas?

Hopefully this little update means something and will help:
I just tried to print from kghostview and kpdf. In both cases I got a
little popup message saying that it was "Initializing printer ..... '
Within the print dialogue I see that print.ps is recognized and that
things supposedly are pointing by way of localhost:631. However nothing
happens and I need to kill things with the <Ctrl-Alt-Esc> combo. This
happens only within KDE.

So, still looking for ideas.

SnapafunFrank