Annoying problem with new windows and virtual desktops

Clinton E. Troutman troutman at mesh.net
Tue Sep 7 21:22:28 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 14:42, Elena Lazar wrote:

> I am using multiple instances of the same application for different
> purposes, in different virtual desktops. For example:
>
> - Konsole #1 (multiple sessions/tabs) in desktop #1 for managing server1
> - Konsole #2 (multiple sessions/tabs) in desktop #2 for reading mail,
> other stuff
> etc.
>
> The annoying thing is that after I log in, in desktop #1 I start
> first Konsole which appears directly in desktop #2. The same for Kopete
> chat windows (I want personal chats in desktop #2, professional related
> one in destop #1, etc). And so on.
>
> Ela

OK...

So I assume from your explanation that we are talking about Konqueror...

I just ran some tests on my machine.

I can open one instance of Konq in desktop2 and one instance of Konq in
desktop3 and make mutually exclusive adjustments to the window sizes. I can
also independently send each instance to whatever desktop I choose without
affecting the other instance (no affect to either window size nor what
desktop the other instance is living in...).

I think this is what you want to do. So, now I wonder if you are aware there
are multiple choices for "move to desktop" when you are running multiple
instances of an app.

Right clicking the app on the taskbar presents a menu. That menu contains "All
to desktop" which will move all windows for that app to a particular desktop.
Alternatively, the top of that menu contains a choice for each instance of
the app; hovering over one of those menu items presents a submenu that
contains "To Desktop" that will affect only that instance.

Is that what you're looking for???

--
Clinton E. Troutman
CeTro