fontconfig +xfs ? or only fontconfig ....

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Sep 7 19:51:04 BST 2004

Marie-Noelle Dauphin wrote:
> thank's for your response  James ....
>
>>Marie-Noelle Dauphin wrote:
>>
>>>Hello , Since several months ,  I have compiled konstruct.kde  with qt  in
>>>the same time... . since there is a new version , i compil it  with the same
>>>method ..
>>>
>>>I noticed that sometimes for one version (for example kde3.2 ),
>>>
>>>kde use fontconfig AND the fonts of the xfs server  ( I see that in kde
>>>control configuration , there 's plenty of fonts which are not not defined in
>>>the /etc/fonts.conf but in the xfs server
>>>

>>FontConfig will search directory trees recursively so if you have:
>>
>>	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
>>	/usr/share/fonts
>>	~/.fonts
>>

> I m' sure that kde use fontconfig AND xfs ....

No, current versions of Qt and KDE use ONLY FontConfig to locate fonts.

> because If i do a : xset -fp tcp/server:7100 , there is less fonts in kde
> configuration( before : 50 and  after:  20 ...) this  shows me that it was X
> Fonts of xfs and not fonts of fontconfig ....

It will use the same fonts that XFS serves but it must use FontConfig to serve them.

>>it will find most of them, but if running [as root]:
>>
>>	fc-cache -v
>>
>>doesn't list all of your fonts, then add the directories to:
>>"/etc/fonts/local.conf".  Remember, you only need the root of a tree.
>>

> when I run : fc-list I don't list as much fonts as kde list  in kde
> configuration

What about the directories?  Does fc-cache -v list all of the directories?

>>>and for another version ( for example kde 3.3)  kde only use fontconfig ....
>>>
>>>It 's annoying for users .... because when I change the kde version they
>>>loose fonts ...It would be all the time the same fonts ...
>>>

>>>can you explain me that  ? I don't find compilation option for that in kde
>>
>>It is Qt that uses FontConfig, so it is necessary that you Qt is linked against
>>FontConfig. Older versions of Qt's 'configure' script had problems finding
>>FontConfig if it wasn't installed in: /usr/X11R6.  That might be your problem > if you built from source.
>

> in the configure.log I see that fontconfig is found ...

OK, then it should be only an issue with FontConfig.

Also, do you have fonts installed in your user account's $HOME directory.  If
so, you must run:

	fc-cache -v
	fc-list

both as root and as your user account to get a complete list of the fonts.

--
JRT