fontconfig +xfs ? or only fontconfig ....

Marie-Noelle Dauphin dauphin at idris.fr
Tue Sep 7 12:28:12 BST 2004

thank's for your response  James ....
> Marie-Noelle Dauphin wrote:
> > Hello , Since several months ,  I have compiled konstruct.kde  with qt  in
> > the same time... . since there is a new version , i compil it  with the same
> > method ..
> >
> > I noticed that sometimes for one version (for example kde3.2 ),
> >
> > kde use fontconfig AND the fonts of the xfs server  ( I see that in kde
> > control configuration , there 's plenty of fonts which are not not defined in
> > the /etc/fonts.conf but in the xfs server
> >
> FontConfig will search directory trees recursively so if you have:
>
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> 	/usr/share/fonts
> 	~/.fonts

I m' sure that kde use fontconfig AND xfs ....
because If i do a : xset -fp tcp/server:7100 , there is less fonts in kde
configuration( before : 50 and  after:  20 ...) this  shows me that it was X
Fonts of xfs and not fonts of fontconfig ....

> it will find most of them, but if running [as root]:
>
> 	fc-cache -v
>
> doesn't list all of your fonts, then add the directories to:
> "/etc/fonts/local.conf".  Remember, you only need the root of a tree.

when I run : fc-list I don't list as much fonts as kde list  in kde
configuration

> > and for another version ( for example kde 3.3)  kde only use fontconfig ....
> >
> > It 's annoying for users .... because when I change the kde version they
> > loose fonts ...It would be all the time the same fonts ...
> >

> > can you explain me that  ? I don't find compilation option for that in kde
>
> It is Qt that uses FontConfig, so it is necessary that you Qt is linked against
> FontConfig. Older versions of Qt's 'configure' script had problems finding
> FontConfig if it wasn't installed in: /usr/X11R6.  That might be your problem > if you built from source.

in the configure.log I see that fontconfig is found ...