App startup times high

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Tue Oct 12 11:16:24 BST 2004

SnapafunFrank wrote:

> gregor wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 03:37 am, SnapafunFrank wrote:
>> > I recently went through having to uninstall [ rpm -e ] kdelib~ and
>> > kdebase and then re-install [ urpmi ] because of a 'kdeinit' problem I
>> > had whilst attempting to update these packages having read a Mandrake
>> > security alert. ( I'm back in kde-3.2.3 from the distro disc's )
>> >
>> > Now I'm not convinced it is entirely KDE, but since then I have
>> time to
>> > go make a coffee whenever I attempt to open any apps. Anything at all!
>> >
>> > I'm running a PIII 733hz 512RAM system and things ran fine before.
>> >
>> > Any ideas where I should start looking?
>>
>> uhm.. may sound quite silly, but look if there's a hostname in your
>> /etc/hostname ;-)
>> I had no hostname in it (how did that happen??), and the result was
>> the same behaviour as on your system.
>>
>> good luck,
>>
>> gregor
>>

> Not so silly actually. This is one of the first places to look for
> this tyoe of issue but in my case it did not help.
>
> By the way, my hosts file is /etc/hosts [ Mandrake10 ]. In mine I have :
>
> 127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        Snapafun
> 127.0.0.1       www.snapafun.con        localhost
>
> as I run webmin in an effort to learn things about what my system is
> doing. ( Not to much overkill is it? ) [ The ".con" is simply to keep
> webmin 'onboard' and appears to work well.]
> Initially I only had :
>
> 127.0.0.1                    Snapafun
>
> Thanks for the response gregor.
>
> And thank you again Shawn. I have just got home so will enjoy the
> challenge ahead tracking down your suggestions. Will let you know what
> the results are.

UPDATE: I have added the following to have my /etc/hosts file look like so:

127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost
127.0.0.1    Snapafun.localdomain    localhost
127.0.0.1    www.snapafun.con    Snapafun
127.0.0.1    www.snapafun.con    localhost

And as a result my apps now open within 5 seconds. Heaps better than 38
seconds any day. There is still more to do as the same apps open almost
instantly as root or as another user.  Also, I properly have to much
within the /etc/hosts file now but will resolve that later. For now
things work better.

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213