Can I display Chinese character filenemes in an English-localised KFM?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 2 08:15:47 BST 2004

On Saturday 02 October 2004 00:07, Glenn Alexander wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I use KFM in English and my partner in Chinese. When I transfer
> files from her home directory to mine, I can only see gobbledygook
> characters for filenames. Can I make my English-localised KFM
> display these as Chinese chars without changing to a Chinese
> language environment?
>
>Also same for Noatun filename/tag display (the files in question are
>OGGs).
>
>(KDE 3.2.3)

Starting the 'canna' server should handle that ok, I'm all english
here, but the stuff that comes in in chinese or kanji/katakana seems
to be correctly displayed in the pictogram format here, ditto for the
big-5 stuff from the kr sites and the increasing amount of arabic
spam too.  I cannot read it of course as this old dog didn't get any
non-english in school, not enough years attended, and never been out
of the country (US) any farther than half an hour in Tijuana Mexico &
that was 30 years ago.  But its still interesting to me that its
apparently correctly displayed here.

>thanx,
>Glenn Alexander
>(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong
> Australia) Home site: http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~glenalec

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: