KDE Task Bar - Expanding

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Nov 29 20:33:29 GMT 2004

Mark Miller wrote:
> I've been wanting to do something that I was previously able to do in
> Windows until I switched to Linux over a year ago. It is quite simple,
> and there seems to be no effective way to do it in KDE.
>
> I want to place the taskbar/panel on the left of the screen, expand it
> to about 300 pixels wide, and have it autohide.
>
> With KDE, it seems to also expand the icons I have. This is useless to
> me, and I just want greater size to be able to read what windows I
> have on the taskbar, since I regularly have several windows open.
>
> Is this possible to do, or did the KDE Developers never think of such a want?

Currently, there is no way to control the aspect ration of the icons or to have
a list like: "Small Icons" if the file selector dialog.

This shows some ideas (although it isn't finished):

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/desktop2.png

Note that the menu button is real:

The Quick Launcher doesn't work that way. :-(  It has now been improved and
works correctly with the large panel.

The other stuff is stock.  The Panel is 132 pixels.  I didn't add any
Application Buttons yet.

--
JRT