Gigabytes of unused Data?, was Re: KDE 3.3.1 seems to be gradually breaking down here

Bastiaan Welmers bastiaan at welmers.net
Sun Nov 28 22:30:08 GMT 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:26:09 +0100, Guido Pinkernell
<guido.pinkernell at gmx.de> wrote:

> I think I have found a reason for all this. YaST2 says my main
> partition (8GBytes) is running out of space (99%), about 15MB left. I
> can't remember loading more than 3GBytes onto the harddisk recently,
> however Linux has crashed several times in recent hours, so there
> seems to be loads of unused data.

Take a look with "df" and report what it says. If it's already eating
root-blocks (free col is negative) it certainly the problem

It's also preferable that you have a seperate /var and /home partition
to prevent problems like this.
Especially a writable /var is necessairy for stable working of  your
system.

To clean up stuff, start looking where space goes to with "du" or
kdirstat if it's still working.
You have to look wether /tmp and /var/tmp isn't full with stuff, /tmp
can be cleared after every reboot.
/var doesn't take more than a few hundreds of MB's for normal desktop
use, so if it's full with GB's (backup) try to find unnecessairy big
files.
Then remove unnecessairy packages with Yast and take a  look in your
home directory at least, of course.

Another cause may be broken FS or broken hardware. Check your
partition(s) with fsck.

/Bastiaan