Gigabytes of unused Data?, was Re: KDE 3.3.1 seems to be gradually breaking down here

Guido Pinkernell guido.pinkernell at gmx.de
Mon Nov 29 14:44:42 GMT 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 23:30, Bastiaan Welmers wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:26:09 +0100, Guido Pinkernell
>
> <guido.pinkernell at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I think I have found a reason for all this. YaST2 says my main
> > partition (8GBytes) is running out of space (99%), about 15MB left. I
> > can't remember loading more than 3GBytes onto the harddisk recently,
> > however Linux has crashed several times in recent hours, so there
> > seems to be loads of unused data.
>
> Take a look with "df" and report what it says. If it's already eating
> root-blocks (free col is negative) it certainly the problem

No negative numbers. In another post someone suggested listing the size of all
directories, by which I found an exeptionally large /tmp directory. See my
other post here.

> It's also preferable that you have a seperate /var and /home partition
> to prevent problems like this.
> Especially a writable /var is necessairy for stable working of  your
> system.

I knew about having a separate /home partition. I don't have this, howver, I
store all my docs and pictures on a fat partition. I didn't know about
separating /var. In any case, space for partitions on my subnotebook,
together with Win XP, is limited. I remember some trouble trying to install
partitions next to the existing fat partition before installing Linux. So the
only Linux partition except / is /boot, and switch, of course.

> To clean up stuff, start looking where space goes to with "du" or
> kdirstat if it's still working.
> You have to look wether /tmp and /var/tmp isn't full with stuff, /tmp
> can be cleared after every reboot.
> /var doesn't take more than a few hundreds of MB's for normal desktop
> use, so if it's full with GB's (backup) try to find unnecessairy big
> files.
> Then remove unnecessairy packages with Yast and take a  look in your
> home directory at least, of course.

Thanks, that's exactly what I am doing now. I will see how it works.

Thanks again,

Guido