All KDE apps crash : So called solution

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Thu Nov 11 05:00:10 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 21:20, Guillaume CABUZEL wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm the guy from a Japanese company evaluating KDE from a desktop OS
> replacement. We had a trouble with a user changing his KDE theme from
> BlueCurve to Crystal, to move back to BlueCurve five minutes later (all
> operations having been executed through the KDE config panel).
> This user could not launch any KDE applications (Konqueror, Quanta,
> KDEvelop, Kontact or whatever begin with a K...)
> The "base" KDE was still running fine
> And all the non KDE applications were still running fine (Gedit, XPDF,
> the Gimp or Nautilus)

So, it only happened one time? How can you base an evaluation on that? I was
installing a new network card on my brother's computer and the TCP/IP stack
got corrupted. Even reinstalling Win2K didn't fix it, had to reformat the
hard drive. Never happened to me before, never happened since. Found out
later it's a common problem when McAfee firewall is installed. Does that mean
windows is unusable? You have to keep some perspective.

Larry