Writing to the windows files system

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 07:08:37 GMT 2004

Daniel
I love the quote at the end of your mail!  Much of the "technology" is a lot
more trouble than it is worth too.
I have only ever used the ntfs file suport for writing new files to my 2k and
later XP windows system and it has never caused any problems at all.
Modifying existing files would be of no use to me what so ever. I generally
use linux for everything that matters. The distro I use is a very early suse
9.0 which includes kernel 2.4.21. This only ceases to write to the ntfs
system following updates. I use windows for my ipaq, certain avi's and a
number of windows programs that do not have adequate linux equivalents. As
all my net access and emails are handled by kde I have to transfer some files
to the windoze system. I initially used fat for this but found that I could
also write to the ntfs system. I will however heed your warning and leave a
larger fat partition when I rebuild my system. Allthough just how I am going
to do that with my current k3b problems I do not know. I still await any
responces on that. It looks like updates have been issued which prevent cd
and dvd writing.

Thanks
John

--
the idea that bill gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead
all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact