Writing to the windows files system

daniel danstemporaryaccount at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 10 16:14:34 GMT 2004

On September 15, 2004 02:18 am, canllaith wrote:
> As of the 2.6 kernel the NTFS write support is no longer considered
> experimental and therefore reasonably safe. That said I can't personally
> vouch for it's stability.

write support for ntfs, while supported in 2.6 is NOT fully supported.  if you
read the documentation, you'll note that writing to ntfs is limited to
overwriting existing files, and even then, you may only edit the file while
not changing the file file size:

CONFIG_NTFS_RW:
This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS driver. The only
supported operation is overwriting existing files, without changing the file
length.  No file or directory creation, deletion or renaming is possible.
Note only non-resident files can be written to so you may find that some very
small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot be written to.  While we cannot
guarantee that it will not damage any data, we have so far not received a
single report where the driver would have damaged someones data so we assume
it is perfectly safe to use.

Note:  While write support is safe in this version (a rewrite from scratch of
the NTFS support), it should be noted that the old NTFS write support, is not
safe.

This is currently useful with TopologiLinux.  TopologiLinux is run on top of
any DOS/Microsoft Windows system without partitioning your hard disk.  Unlike
other Linux distributions TopologiLinux does not need its own partition.  For
more information see <http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/>

It is perfectly safe to say N here.

--
the idea that bill gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead
all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact