Writing to the windows files system

J Hall canllaith at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 23:23:10 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 23:47, John wrote:
>> On Tuesday 14 September 2004 15:56, John wrote:
>> > Hello All
>> > My machine has developed an odd problem. I could write to the windows nt
>> > file system on my machine - for some reason I can't now. I'm running a
>> > more or less up to date suse9 installation, xp and KDE etc. Anybody know
>> > what I need to do to get things back as they were? I don't even seem to
>> > be able to set the permissions even as root. I've no idea why it's
>> > stopped working unless it has something to do with a suse update. I
>> > unfortunately still do need windows now and again.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >     John
>>
>> Hi
>> I have finally found out what has happened. For some reason a suse update
>> with Yast has installed a kernel that has been compiled without ntfs write
>> support. Therefor changing the ro to rw in the fstab has no effect
>> allthough this will enable writes to any fat volumes one has. Even these
>> are disabled by default. Interestingly my original suse 9.0 professional
>> distribution allow writes to both. I can vouch for their reliability when
>> they are simpley used to transfer files to the windows system. Oh for a
>> linux version of Powertab or something that will read it's files.
>>
>> Suppose I am now going to have to find out how to stop yast from doing
>> this or learn how to compile a kernel from scratch. Wouldn't be at all
>> surprised if I switch to redhat!
>>
>> Regards
>> John

Does updating your kernel using yast install the kernel sources and
the .config file with it's configuration? I know many distros put the .config
file for the running kernel in /boot (I have 'config-ide-2.4.26' there from
my stock Slackware kernel.)

It's really quite simple to take the version of this file that matches your
running kernel and copy it to '/path/to/kernel/sources/.config' and then run
make menuconfig and then go and find the NTFS write support and turn it on.
This way at least, you know you are starting from a working kernel
configuration and you don't have to worry about what other options to turn on
or off =)

I only suggest this because as far as I am aware, Slackware, Mandrake and
Fedora all come with NTFS write support disabled and chances are you'll have
to build your own kernel to get it anyway.

J L Hall.