Writing to the windows files system

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 10:47:52 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 15:56, John wrote:
> Hello All
> My machine has developed an odd problem. I could write to the windows nt
> file system on my machine - for some reason I can't now. I'm running a more
> or less up to date suse9 installation, xp and KDE etc. Anybody know what I
> need to do to get things back as they were? I don't even seem to be able to
> set the permissions even as root. I've no idea why it's stopped working
> unless it has something to do with a suse update. I unfortunately still do
> need windows now and again.
>
> Regards
>     John

Hi
I have finally found out what has happened. For some reason a suse update with
Yast has installed a kernel that has been compiled without ntfs write
support. Therefor changing the ro to rw in the fstab has no effect allthough
this will enable writes to any fat volumes one has. Even these are disabled
by default. Interestingly my original suse 9.0 professional distribution
allow writes to both. I can vouch for their reliability when they are simpley
used to transfer files to the windows system. Oh for a linux version of
Powertab or something that will read it's files.

Suppose I am now going to have to find out how to stop yast from doing this or
learn how to compile a kernel from scratch. Wouldn't be at all surprised if I
switch to redhat!

Regards
John