Building kdebase-3.2.2

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Wed May 12 17:13:17 BST 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 10:11 am, Colin Bruce wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've downloaded the current stable version (3.2.2) and built arts and
> kdelibs okay. Kdebase-3.2.2 does not even configure never mind build. The
> configure script stops suddenly with the following error
>
>     config.status: creating config.h
>     config.status: config.h is unchanged
>     config.status: executing depfiles commands
>
>     You're missing libsmbclient from samba 3.0
>     KDE will use a wrapper for smbclient without it,
>     consider installing it.
>     Look at kioslave/smb/libsmbclient-HOWTO.txt
>
> I don't have, use, want or need samba. I have never used it and never will
> on this PC. However, there does not appear to be a configure option to say
> don't use samba. I am sure there used to be although I could be mistaken.
> The HOWTO mentioned above only talks about updating Samba to version 3. Is
> samba now a requirement? I thought it might just be a warning but when I
> tried doing a make it just re-ran configure got a bit further and then
> failed when it started running make.

There seems to be an inclination as things progress to throw more and more
stuff into packages,  I guess not much of a problem when you're dealing with
newer,  more current hardware,  but...

For example in earlier versions when using Konqueror and a link referred to a
text file it'd just open it,  and display it.  I didn't care for the font too
much (it showed as if wrapped in TT tokens) but could've lived with that.
Now when I get to the same point it fires up kwrite (?) to do the same job,
and I sit there watching the HD light stay on solid as the system swaps.  And
swaps.  And swaps...

Sure,  I'm running some older  hardware here.  Linux (and the software that
goes with it) is supposed to do okay on earlier hardware.  But as development
progresses the assumptions about what one is using seem to progress also,
and I'm not real happy about it here.			:-(