Building kdebase-3.2.2

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 12 15:37:17 BST 2004

Colin Bruce wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've downloaded the current stable version (3.2.2) and built arts and kdelibs
> okay. Kdebase-3.2.2 does not even configure never mind build. The configure
> script stops suddenly with the following error
>
>     config.status: creating config.h
>     config.status: config.h is unchanged
>     config.status: executing depfiles commands

This is the last command of the configure script so it *did* finish.

>     You're missing libsmbclient from samba 3.0
>     KDE will use a wrapper for smbclient without it,
>     consider installing it.
>     Look at kioslave/smb/libsmbclient-HOWTO.txt

This isn't an error.  But, it it stopped here it would be an error.  The
next lines should be:

	Please remove the file config.cache after changing your setup
	so that configure will find the changes next time.

And then you should get the prompt back.

> I don't have, use, want or need samba. I have never used it and never will on
> this PC. However, there does not appear to be a configure option to say
> don't use samba.

You don't need to, it is automatic.  That isn't the problem.

I am sure there used to be although I could be mistaken. The
> HOWTO mentioned above only talks about updating Samba to version 3. Is samba
> now a requirement?

NO.

I thought it might just be a warning but when I tried
> doing a make it just re-ran configure got a bit further and then failed
> when it started running make.

That is the problem.  What happened when your ran make?  Please post the
error messages from that.

--
JRT